PLEASE NOTE: I've moved! Feel free to continue following me via my new blog Embrace Serendipity.

**All tutorials & the majority of the posts from this blog have been moved over to my new blog**



Feb 24, 2012

The Journey Awakens the Soul Layout


Happy TGIF fellow scrappers! I can't say that I'm not thrilled that it's Friday & the weekend is ahead of me. Just being able to sleep past 6:30 a.m. is such a treat!

Today's page is based on a vacation to Puerto Rico my husband & I went to just this past September. It was our very first vacation where we actually went with friends. It was different for us--but a good kind of different. You definitely bond in ways you never thought of when you travel with others who are not family. You learn from one another & you simply get to know each other better! We all work in large corporations where stress is a common part of our daily routine. So this trip truly did 'awaken our souls'. We so very much needed the escape. I'm glad our trip went well and we hope to do another one soon!

This photo shows all six of us in Fort San Cristobal in Old San Juan. I have very limited photos where all six of us are together since it was usually one of us taking the group shots. For this photo I remember positioning the camera on top of a trash bin & setting the timer! Hey...it worked right?

I'm submitting this page for two challenges. Bird is the Word (BITW) for their Journey challenge & Once Upon a Sketch (OUAS) February 15th challenge. For OUAS the challenge was to scrap vacations. Either a recent vacation...one I'd like to go on or a favorite vacation.

Here's the sketch provided to us by Nadia over at OUAS.

I went with green embellies/accents to go along with my page. The papers are a combination of Prima & BoBunny.

The large swirls on the side are actually stamps by Prima. I stamped the swirls with Staz On Jet Black Ink--then cut along the flourish to create the border. I then further decorated the swirls with Stickles.

Lime green trim by Websters Pages was tucked underneath my scroll border.

The light green/silver flourishes are by Tim Holtz & made out of grunge board. They were first painted with a lime green acrylic paint. I then randomly dabbed a bit of Silver Paint Dabber on them. Finally, they were inked with embossing ink & heat embossed with transparent Star Dust embossing powder by Stampendous. In person, these flourishes give off a fabulous dimensional shimmer.

The journaling was made with my Dymo Caption maker and the title is actually a stamp by Tim Holtz (Stampers Anonymous). I stamped the image onto a transparency with embossing ink & heat embossed it with black embossing powder. NOTE: You have to be a bit careful when heat embossing on transparencies--you don't want to melt or warp the transparency. So it takes a light hand and a bit of patience. However, the end result is worth it. It's hard to tell from the photo but in person the title has a dimensional, almost epoxy look to it.

I punched a few holes into my large black circle & tied some lime ribbon through the holes. The transparent compass and globe is by Tattered Angels. The mulberry flowers are from my stash, the resin flowers are by Prima and the fabric rosette is by BoBunny.

Thanks to all of you who stop by for a visit...your time is always very much appreciated! Have a great weekend.

18 comments:

Cathy McGrath said...

I just love your layout. I love the colours of your papers and the flourishes. Just beautiful.

Αlex... said...

Your page is perfect!!!
Love the colours and all the details.
Thank you so much for joining us at OUAS.Good luck.;)

Cindy Gay said...

Just beautiful Kay. I love the alpha and the tones!

Heidi Williams said...

looks so beautiful I love the colours:)

Dolly Daydreams said...

Fabulous page !! Love those bright tangy colours and gorgeous embellishments it really does awaken the soul ! Thank you for sharing with us at OUAS and good luck.

Marie

EFI said...

Gorgeous layout with so many fabulous details!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at OUAS!

Pia said...

looks so wonderful
hugs Pia

Keren Tamir said...

As always a beautiful layout!! thanks for jOIning us at BITW

Sonia said...

Hello Kay
As always you did an Amazing layout! Love the green color (that is my daughter fav colour)
I hope one day I meet you when you visit PR.
Greetings, Sony
Sonia-Studio60

Ella Swan said...

Lovely layout, very pretty! Thanks for joining us at Bird is the Word!!

Irini said...

Kay I am in love with ther colours you used for your layout!....everything is fabulous...
Thanks so much for playing along with us at Once UponA...Sketch
hugz
irini

Trudi Harrison said...

Fabulous Page, the details are incredible. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful work with us at Once Upon A...Sketch

Cathy said...

WOW a gorgeous page Kay.. ADORE all your beautiful detail and the colours look amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing with us at BITW :))

Gwen Wruck said...

Beautiful layout indeed! I love how all of the small details come together... the colour scheme is wonderful too. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at BITW!!

Eleni Gratsia said...

Lovely! Thanks so much for joining us on OUAS!

Marilyn said...

Bello, Kay!! me encantan los colores!! espero hallas disfrutado tus vacaciones en la isla, si vuelves algun dia me avisas a ver si nos podemos conocer. Hermoso trabajo como siempre. Thanks for sharing it with us at Bird is the Word!! :)

Dani Cristina said...

Is beautiful!!!!
Kisses.

Cindy Gay said...

Love all the details and the color combo. The embossed title is especially nice.